Thursdays 8:00 PM on The CW
The-vampire-diaries
3965 posts
Halde

Ye i have always(up untill now) thought that it was the real Buffy in Italy. . .

Posted at

well it explains a lot in terms of continuity - before that it was confusing on how Buffy can be this general-like figure behind the lines ordering around the slayers in "Destiny" and then just outright party around on the other side of the world in the rome episode. 

Posted at
3965 posts
Halde

*spoiler*

Wasen't surprised that Angel was Twilight. I didn't completly expect it, but i he was one of the few i figured it would be if it was a character already known to us.

Posted at
3965 posts
Halde

And Angel and Buffy is basically in Inception's limbo. . .

Posted at

Its hilarious on how Angel being Twilight fucking fits in both story wise and meta. 

Shanshu prophecy and huge apocalypse that would lead Angel transcending life and death and vampyrism. S3 Amends episode and First saying Angel has something important to do in future. THe way Angel S5 ended.  The fact that Twilight had certain plagiarism moments of BTVS and that S.Meyer "tried" to model Edward after Angel. The fact that Twilight killed vampire genre in a way, causing a shift in how the general public views vampires.

And yeah, I kind of completely hated on how their Ascension(yet again conecpt introduced in S3) was handled.  Although thankfully btvs does not go into anything that stupid any time soon or well, ever, hopefuly. 

Posted at

meaning how they ACHIEVED the ascension. That was completely...far too crazy for me. 

Posted at
3965 posts
Halde

Keeping in mind it's a cartoon, S8 is still the worst season of BtVS so far(IMO).

Giles dies, no go. Either he gets ressurected, or it's a BtVS without Giles or Wesley. And both scenarios suck.

BtVS have had the thing with death rolling for them. Death have been a thing that was bad. In S8 death was being made a cartoony fart. in one of the first scenes with Willow, she tells Buffy that Kennedy is dead(thank god) but then says something along the lines of "but it's cool, i waved my arms and now everything is (Y)". This pretty much ruined death and made it cartoony and casual(not war-casual, just stupid-casual). 

Then there is a problem similar to what happend with the Star Wars prequels. Back in the 1970-80's Lucas and co. had limited resouces because of technology. This for example limited the amount of lightsaber fight, which was good. Then in when he shot in the prequels, this was no longer a problem, and A LOT of things were ruined because he could do anything.

Now it is not the same problem, since no previous material was ruined, but it made the current material(S8) a bit silly. We suddenly have these huge alien thingies and it's hard to follow wtf is going on because everything is cluttered up with so much shit. Too much, too fast, too big.

I loved Spikes entrance though. He went totally Jack Sparrow on the show, and generally i think it would be hard for anyone to ruin Spike for me(not that any character got ruined). 

Then there is some of the drawings, and this is a minor point, that i had a hard time connect with the character of the show. Andrew and Oz springs to mind. The first half of the season i had a hard time keeping track on Andrew because he looked nothing like the actor. Same with Oz. The scene before Oz is back, Buffy says something about talking to the only guy that she knows can surpress magic or something like that. Then the next image is Oz, and i am like "Who the fuck is that guy? Did i miss some issues or prologue that explained something about this guy". then a couple of pages later, his name is inevitable mentioned. 

Then i felt some inconcistencies about the whole long Twilight plan to create a new universe or whatever. For some reason this "clever" universe didn't have the brains to make Buffy stay up there. . . Why the f*** not? They made all this work, but then they let a girl, who consistently through her life had made choices countering destiny, make the choise whether or not to stay and sustain this universe. It makes little sense. . .

I liked the comicical scenes, especially the ones with Dracula and Xander, that was hilarious.

Posted at

Giles dies, no go. Either he gets ressurected, or it's a BtVS without Giles or Wesley. And both scenarios suck.

well yes. he is dead.  Whedona ctually planned to actually kill him in BTVS S7 with the whole "giles is the first" plotline, but because of the possibility of crossing him over to ATS seasons, he left him alive for now. since ats died out....well bye bye giles, again.

In S8 death was being made a cartoony fart. in one of the first scenes with Willow, she tells Buffy that Kennedy is dead(thank god) but then says something along the lines of "but it's cool, i waved my arms and now everything is (Y)".

It was not a litteral kind of death and more of Willow being usual strange person she is and misusing words. It was more of a "sleeping beauty" kind of situation where some evil thing put Kennedy into a coma and willow saved her.

We suddenly have these huge alien thingies and it's hard to follow wtf is going on because everything is cluttered up with so much shit.  

Demons being capable of traveling through space was obvious since a lot of BTVS draws from cthulhu mythos and we already had a demona rrive from space in meteorite.

Too much, too fast, too big.

While I agree with that, IMO its intentional because it highlights the utter absurdity of the situation Buffy's own ego has gotten her into.  She went from highschool-counselor-turned-general into pretty much a huge position of power and power has huge effect on people in bufvyerse. Cue fucking up along the surreal nature of her life.  the comics even emphasize that with a surreal disturbing version of her dream of the past(and there's another short story with an even more psychologically disturbing dream of hers set after S8). It highlights on how batshit crazy everything has gotten to her and the end pretty much knocks her down, placing her into a role faith has always been in and faith into role buffy had, causing them both to look at their lives again.  

Then there is some of the drawings, and this is a minor point, 

This I agree, hence why they hired an entirely different artists for S9. The S8 artists tried to trace the tv show actors, while now tis moer of a drawing similar characters, so its easier to recognize people.

Then i felt some inconcistencies about the whole long Twilight plan to create a new universe or whatever. For some reason this "clever" universe didn't have the brains to make Buffy stay up

because while universe might have a collective intellect, which is obvious since it was foreshadowed with the first as a collective unconsciousness of the dead, its not exactly HUMAN. Even The First had a hard time grasping human concepts like emotion or connection or being PHYSICAL.

Its more like Universe created itself ina  way that set a set of rules and conditions - once someone was fitting those conditions (breaking the slayer line, being empowered from thousand of newly dead slayers, boinking a vampire, etc) that person would achieve ascension and be tasked with creating a new universe.

yet again, universe is not "human" or really "conscious", so it has no idea of workings of human brain especially the idea that someone lik buffy would find a flawed and dangerous world MORE attractive than pure and ordered "new" world.

Also...

Keeping in mind it's a cartoon, S8 is still the worst season of BtVS so far(IMO). 

no, just no.

S6=S9 >S7=S5 >S8 >S3 >S2 >S4 > S1

still stands for me. I am willing to ignore the whole fucking issue of...fucking beacuse the start of season was brillian and the end of season was one of the most brilliant finales this show had.  

Posted at

I am just happy that they have different artists from S8 for all the three series of Season Nine. Characters might not look exactly like tv show actors anymore, but they are recognizable and separatable at least:

The mini-short set in ebtween S8 and S9 is drawn by the cover artist whom I wish would have done the whole S8 book.  It shows Buffy having a sort of cptsd and explains why dawn and Xander are so weirded out by her by end of S8/start of s9

I still find it both bizzare and hilarious on how her dream ends with marrying warren and tara blaming her for her death, lol. Girl's messed up. 

Posted at

So november covers for all the series(Willow, Spike, Angel&Faith, Buffy) are released.

First of all, Angel&Faith:

I just LOVE how positive and cheerful Faith version of the cover is. She is someone who was at the lowest psosible point and slowly went up, first thanks to Angel in ATS, then thanks to Giles. Now having resolved some of the problems from her past, she can truly start to be able to be at peace with herself. Be at the position Buffy was at the start. Because Buffy's beginign is the Faith's destination of character growth. 

Angel  cover is not as cheerful. its typical Angel. Dark alleys, brooding, revenge driven people wanting to end the person partially responsible for destroying the world, etc. . 

Then we have Buffy's series covers for november:

Buffy is in the place Faith and Angel was. Treading the same past. Having to fix all the countless mistakes she and her ego made through the last two or three seasons. Everything she fucked up, everything she neglected. And yet at the same time, its an escape for her from dealing with the REAL problems of how fucked up she herself is right now and how everything in her life has gone to hell, Willow's betrayal and how even closest people don't want anything to do with her. And Pissing off Wolfram and Hart certainly does not help. Because Faith's begining in S3 is Buffy's current destination

Then we have Spike's series november covers: 

Yet again, Spike and his inner demons. This meeting with the old acquintance, imo is a perfect chance for him to start working out HIS problems and figure out on what the hell he wants to do or who he wants to be. Also I love that while Buffy is intent on ignoring all her problems, Spike not only is intent of solving hers but also cleaning up her mess too.

And last but not the least, Willow's obsession miniseries

I love how while all other covers of the other S9 series involve multiple characters, Willow is alone. Its so fitting for her character arc and I love how both covers represent sides of her - the first cover is all about her huge huge huge ego and the darkness and megalomanic tendencies that she has that are higher than ever before. In Willow's mind she is this god who could do anything and anyone she wanted, who has no limits, no rules. Someone who is always right and who is always benevolent and holy. And she is willing to twist logic and morality to fit that image she has of herself

The second is all about her human frailty - that insecure human redheaded girl thrown into all the supernatural mess and danger, all of that having started with that fatal meeting with buffy all the way at the start of S1. 

Posted at

Post a Reply

You are posting as a guest. To post as a user, please Sign In or Register.

Guest posting is disabled in this forum. If you want to post, please Sign In or Register.

Vampire Diaries Quotes

You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure, and even a little danger... I want you to get everything you're looking for. But for right now, I want you to forget that this happened. Can't have people knowing I'm in town yet. Goodnight, Elena.

Damon

Damon: You know what they are? Children. Like lighting a candle's going to make everything OK, or even saying a prayer. Or pretending Elena's not going to end up just like the rest of us murdering vampires. Stupid, delusional, exasperating little children. And I know what you're going to say: 'It makes them feel better, Damon.' So what? For how long? A minute, a day? What difference does it make? Because in the end, when you lose somebody, every candle, every prayer is not going to make up for the fact that the only thing you have left is hole in your life where that somebody that you cared about used to be. And a rock with a birthday carved into it that I'm pretty sure is wrong. So thanks, friend. Thanks for leaving me here to babysit. Because I should be long gone by now. I didn't get the girl, remember? I'm just stuck here fighting my brother and taking care of the kids. You owe me big.
Alaric: I miss you too, buddy.

x Close Ad