Thursdays 8:00 PM on CW
The-vampire-diaries
1565 posts
Amie

The girl that got rejected by Joseph was treated like a queen by Ian and Paul. They are so nice. Paul took two pics with me and Ian had no reservations of getting really close with his fans. He was literally suffocating me lol.

Well to be honest, I don't think the actors really owe the fans anything in terms of suffocating hugs and photos...also it could be the difference in cultures, not everyone is comfortable hugging some random girl who has (or not) dreams about Klaus...probably thinking JoMo is like his character....Just saying.

Posted at
10980 posts
Floralovesgurlplz

^ good point, I also thought it was difference of cultures and it's not that rude to not hug someone you don't know. Lmao "dont be silly Matt I can't read"

Posted at
2296 posts
Charishma

regardless though. I come from a culture where ppl don't hug and touch either. The only time I hug my mom is when she sees me off at the airport. And I can't remember the last time I hugged my dad. I had to chase my sister around a cab to get a hug once.

Basically, what I'm saying is, JM needs to get over it. His fans are the reason he's employed. Unless he's insanely weirded out, he should just suck it up and give a fan a hug. Maybe he was having an off day. He seems so nice and friendly.

Posted at

In general , both in west and east frontal hug is an acceptable behavior between close friends, while from-behind hug is mostly interpreted as romantic gesture. 

Excepting someone you do not even know personally to HUG you is ridiculous and its entirelly up to that person to decide to refuse it or not. 

JM needs to get over it. His fans are the reason he's employed.Errr, generally his acting chops is the reason he is employed. as well as show creators. Fans are just bonus and actors DO NOT generally bend backwards to please them. 

Posted at
2296 posts
Charishma

generally his acting chops is the reason he is employed

At most this debate is going to go in circiles. He has a job because he's good, yes. But there would be no need for actors if there wasn't an audience. And no, actors don't have to bend over backwards. But openly acting like an ass is a bit much. When you make a public appearance, you go to play. That's just how it is. It would've been different if someone had just accosted him on the street, or if he enjoying his own personal time.   Don't get me wrong. I'm just like that too. Crowds are hard for me. But if someone is going to conventions and interacting with fans (which he does), then he as a professional, needs to work past that.     And as for a frontal hug being acceptable behaviour in east, well you obviously haven't been to every eatern country have you? Just like in the west, there are certain communities that don't hug. Its acceptable, but its not instinctual. Its not something you're comfortable with. Even with the closest of friends.
Posted at
2296 posts
Charishma

*Repost

generally his acting chops is the reason he is employed

At most this debate is going to go in circiles. He has a job because he's good, yes. But there would be no need for actors if there wasn't an audience. And no, actors don't have to bend over backwards. But openly acting like an ass is a bit much. When you make a public appearance, you go to play. That's just how it is. It would've been different if someone had just accosted him on the street, or if he enjoying his own personal time.  

Don't get me wrong. I'm just like that too. Crowds are hard for me. But if someone is going to conventions and interacting with fans (which he does), then he as a professional, needs to work past that.    

And as for a frontal hug being acceptable behaviour in east, well you obviously haven't been to every eatern country have you? Just like in the west, there are certain communities that don't hug. Its acceptable, but its not instinctual. Its not something you're comfortable with. Even with the closest of friends.

Posted at
2296 posts
Charishma

it might be* sorry, typo

Posted at

But there would be no need for actors if there wasn't an audience. And the audience is for the CHARACTER. he plays. He owes his fans nothing as a person, because his own personal life is his own. And the fans who can't separate the behavior acceptable on meeting Klaus with behavior acceptable on meeting Joseph should just stay at home. 

But openly acting like an ass is a bit much. When you make a public appearance, you go to play. And stay true to your personality. Its not like he punched someone for trying to hug him. Frankly this whole "booohoooooing" cult assault towards anyone who gives a negative response to anything is one of the most ridiculous things about modern day society. People DO say no and that's not being "mean". Thats an entirely normal and appropriate behavior.

Expecting an actor to listen to fan's every whim is just as delusional as expecting everyone to agree with your opinion on the internet(also known as the whole "baww your a hater" mentality). 

Don't get me wrong. I'm just like that too. Crowds are hard for me. But if someone is going to conventions and interacting with fans (which he does), then he as a professional, needs to work past that. Its not about "crowds being hard" Joseph has acted in a lot of shit(even if I do not thing he is in any way talented).

Setting the barrier and knowing when to say no IS proffesionalism. Setting up a barrier between you and your fans and not letting it to go to a personal levels is what being professional is about.  

And as for a frontal hug being acceptable behaviour in east, well you obviously haven't been to every eatern country have you? Just like in the west, there are certain communities that don't hug. Its acceptable, but its not instinctual. Its not something you're comfortable with. Even with the closest of friends.

I spend a lot of time traveling abroad and have spent quite a few months of my life in japan.

Hugging between VERY close friends is so frequent and normal that to foreigner that might even seem overly sexual, with a lot of foreigners arriving there questioning the sexual orientation of those people they met(because hugging etiquette sort of separates close-friends from acquintances, so you will see some people hugging certain people while avoiding close personal space contact with others)  and takes a LOT of time to get used to. 

Its not "uncommon", but its tricky to handle for sure, to the point that  its best to just avoid initiating hugs at all there(since in most of cases you WILL miss it on when its not socially acceptable to hug someone and thus invade someone's personal space without permission), before you get a hang of the whole social ranking of hugging there. 

Posted at
2296 posts
Charishma

Sorry, but hugging does not separate close friends from acquaintances. I've also spent quite a bit of time in the East, have been raised by a very traditional conservative Eastern family, and now live in the UK. Its not about social ranking (where I was raised at least), its about respecting a person's physical space. Formality is a part of it too I think. So yes, I have seen lots of cultures that don't see hugging as a norm. It might be acceptable, but it does get a raised brow.

So I am understanding of JM. He has a definite right to refuse. But there's a way to do it that isn't hurtful, and there has to be a certain amount of understanding on both sides. I guess he does have to setup boundaries. Its just a little mean though, for the fans that might not understand that its nothing personal. That he's just not comfortable. But I guess some are really insistent.

I just got a little :O because he does have the habit of being a bit of a brat at conventions. (ex: stating openly, at a convention, that he doesn't like crowds lol what a guy). .JM needs to stop being so moody. I don't think he means anything by it. British humour is also pretty different. But yeah, people are there to see him. Cultural differences or not, it would take an idiot to not notice what's acceptable and what isn't in that context.

But yeah, actors do owe alot to fans. Just like every entertainer/actor. I can't agree with the fact that fans are completely incidental to the job. because they aren't.

Posted at

ex: stating openly, at a convention, that he doesn't like crowds lol what a guy).yet again, that's completely acceptable. He has his own opinion, he openly states it. Its not like he is stabbing and punching people in the middle of comiccon Q&A session. 

Posted at

Post a Reply

You are posting as a guest. To post as a user, please Sign In or Register.

Guest posting is disabled in this forum. If you want to post, please Sign In or Register.