chiara // Dan & Serena Humphrey
3355 posts
October8th2005

AND YOU USED A GAGA GIF OH EM GEE

Posted at
hsds
1622 posts
Hsds

hey guys i got hacked, but I am slowly putting up the fics i still have (luckily i have most of them saved)

Posted at
3355 posts
October8th2005

bbs

Posted at
3355 posts
October8th2005

just read this on tumblr.... all the awards

I have watched many a teen drama over the years and the formula is always pretty standard as is the fandom reaction towards the central pairing or OTP. But, never have I seen a show that has had a more obvious OTP pairing than Gossip Girl. I know what some of you are thinking: Chuck and Blair. WRONG. This show’s otp has always been Dan and Serena despite fandom antipathy and whining over the years. The usual formula involves a determination of the central pairing during the pilot, some residual angst, and then a 6 episode arc of them as a couple before the first breakup. But, GG was different. The way they wrote Dan and Serena in its first season was different. They put them together early, kept them together and had them work to their problems, but the media did not like this. They started to cry fowl and ask for angst, so when the show returned after the Strike Josh Schwartz and company changed course and through Georgina into the mix as well as relationship drama that they had already conquered (the two worlds, dan’s tendency to judge). So all of the sudden Dan became 10x more judgemental, Serena (who had fully trusted Dan) started to close herself all in the name of drama. No big deal right? You have to keep the drama going. In normal cases yes, but the fandom who was already resentful of the couple (mostly cause they were a non-issue in the books) started to throw a party. They felt like Nate and Serena would finally get their chance. During this first season, the show also introduced Chuck andBlair and the media started to demand that they take up more story time. Normally that wouldn’t happen. But, the writers buckled and when season 2 emerged more story was devoted to the evil-duo. But, despite fans hope that would mean no more Dan and Serena, the writers kept their story going. They chose to go the day-time super couple route going so far as to give them a rival in their parents and a shared sibling. While the story was nothing knew in terms of day-time soaps, it had been awhile since a teen soap had gotten so close to its day-time counterpart. But, the story was not the issue—it was the fandom. They wanted, no insisted that chuck and blair/nate and serena be the focus (njbc as they were dubbed). But that foursome was never to be for several reasons. Nate (Crawford) had lost his status as the second male lead to Chuck (Westwick) but both came well  behind the male lead, Dan (Badgley). He was still given story with and without Serena. He still ate up oodles of screentime. Normally, when an otp or central pairing is dropped (this happens rarely) the story is cut abruptly and never comes back into play, but that was not what happened with Dan and Serena. They went the root of forcibly repressing their feelings because of their parents marriage only to give into those feelings with one make-out session that ended up destroying their relationships with Nate and Vanessa (the people fandom insisted they belonged with). You’d think that the fanbase would have clued into where the story was going, but in S4 they would once again stick their head like an ostrich in the sand because Dan and Blair happened. Many ignored the fact that Serena was the proverbial ghost that never truly left the story. Dan sought solace in Blair after she had hurt him by going off to Ben even though he had done everything to prove that they belonged together. But, the Blair fans did not look at the story from Dan’s POV but rather by the broken Blair who had endured pain  and heartache from Chuck. They saw Dan as her knight in shining armor who would once and for all prove that she was better than Serena except they kept inserting Serena into the story. Serena did not play the villain to Blair’s heroine, in fact in S5 the tables had turned and Blair became the girl taking advantage of Dan and Serena was portrayed as the one who had always loved him but had made mistake (Ben). The writers tried to show you his dissatisfaction beginning with the bad sex arc and leading up to her ignoring him and humiliating him all because she could not see beyond her own selfishness, but ask fandom and it was the perfect relationship that was marred only by her randomly running back to her abusive former lover. No recognition that the entire relationship was set-up to fail from day 1 and that it was more of a SDB triangle then a CBD one. To this day people cry out how it made no sense that Dan and Serena ended up together, but if you look at the show as a whole then it makes the most sense. You cannot self-select a year of story and assume that means the other 4 years don’t count. That’s worse then sticking your fingers in your ears, its denying what the story was about. Shows are like books.  You cannot pretend that the first 400 of the 600 pages didn’t occur and that the person the hero is dating on page 501 will be the one he will end up with. This was pricely the problem GG fandom suffered from. They put too much stock into the influence of online fandom, ignored the story for years (or tried to diminish it) and worse than that they forgot how OTPs on teen soaps worked. I mean OTH had a similar storyline with Lucas and Peyton (but then again the brucas fans were just as naïve if not more naïve than the gossip girl ones). The point in this long ramble, fandom antipathy towards a couple especially the OTP doesn’t change anything. The journey DS went through was marred by stupid delay tactics and too much bed-hopping, but it’s as in-your-face as a teen soap will ever get.

Posted at
601 posts
Wheres-waldorf

It just carries so much more meaning when you know he is Gossip Girl. My heart fluttered <3 ahhhhhhhhhhh

Posted at
601 posts
Wheres-waldorf

Posted at
hsds
1622 posts
Hsds

aww chiara. I wrote that. I'm glad that I didn't piss a legion of people off.

Posted at
601 posts
Wheres-waldorf

Update my fic. This chapter is all Derena :) Would love it if you guys read and reviewed! Dr. Holland was the beta reader.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9010639/4/The-World-They-Once-Knew

Posted at
hsds
1622 posts
Hsds

^ loved the chapter. Hope you update soon.

Posted at
3355 posts
October8th2005

i miss u guys

Posted at

Post a Reply

You are posting as a guest. To post as a user, please Sign In or Register.

Guest posting is disabled in this forum. If you want to post, please Sign In or Register.

Want more Gossip Girl?

Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!

Gossip Girl Quotes

And who am I? That's one secret I'll never tell ... You know you love me. XOXO, Gossip Girl

Gossip Girl

[to Jenny] That's the thing. You need to be cool to be queen. Anne Boleyn thought only with her heart and she got her head chopped off. So her daughter Elizabeth made a vow never to marry a man. She married a country. Forget boys. Keep your eye on the prize, Jenny Humphrey. You can't make people love you, but you can make them fear you. For what it's worth, you're my Queen. I choose you.

Blair
x Close Ad