The CW shocked many when it announced last week that the Supernatural spinoff, Wayward Sisters had not landed a series order at the network.
The potential drama aired as a backdoor pilot of Supernatural earlier this year and received a positive response from viewers.
As such it was widely expected to get a series order, but The CW boss Mark Pedowitz has confirmed he was skeptical of the series' chance at being a success story.
“We had really great material this year,” he said on a conference call with reporters on Thursday morning.
“We’re really excited about the five series we did pick up. We are big fans of the characters and the women who played the characters in the series, but we did not feel creatively the show is where we wanted it to be. We felt we had a better shot with Legacies.”
He went on to say that CW execs are “big fans” of the Wayward Sisters actresses “and hope they continue on…guest starring on Supernatural.”
But, the network “did not feel [Wayward] was there it needed to be to go forward with it this year.”
Wayward Sisters co-writer Andrew Dabb confirmed via Twitter the series was not going ahead.
"It breaks my heart to say this, but CW has chosen to pass on Wayward Sisters," he said. "
We love these characters, and have spent almost two years trying to make this show a reality on the network... but there are some fights, sometimes, you can't win."
"I want to thank everyone involved in this entire process, from our fantastic crew to our amazing cast, and, most of all you," he continued.
"Your passion for this idea fueled us, and we wanted so much to make this happen for you. I'm so sorry we couldn't."
"But know that these characters will live on. We owe them, and you, and us that. Thank you," he concluded.
What do you think of this news?
Hit the comments below.
Paul Dailly is the Associate Editor for TV Fanatic. Follow him on Twitter.