Wow. "Hail, Hale" was a jam-packed, fae-mazing hour. If anything, there was too much going on.
I wish these storylines would have been expanded and integrated over a couple more episodes. It was Hale's inauguration day as The Ash, but that was only one of many events happening, including:
The Morrigan's power grab, Isaac's plan to use Lauren's research to satisfy his own Fae-power lust, and Tamsin's downward spiral due to her obligation to capture Bo.
After Lauren disobeyed Hale, she left not only the Light Fae, but Bo behind in order to work with Isaac. She quickly succeeded in completing the work she was doing. That was something to celebrate, but it was disheartening to hear her talk about how empty her life was before. If that's the case, why would she ever want to go back to the Fae and Bo?
Throughout Lost Girl season 3, I've had issues with Bo and Lauren's relationship. While they showed their love for each other, there wasn't much of a basis beyond their physical attraction and love for each other. Bo had Lauren, her friends, family, and job, while all Lauren really had was Bo. They would hang out together at one of their homes and then Bo would go off to do her Bo stuff, while Lauren primarily worked alone.
And, Lauren shifted her work to focus on research to help Bo, either to quench her hunger, devolution or to assist on a case. Lauren's life revolved around Bo, but it didn't work the other way. It's no wonder Lauren felt something was missing in her life. She was in love, but isolated. It's not Bo's fault that Lauren didn't have outside activities or friends, but that ultimately led to their break-up.
And, the outcome was devastating. Lauren's isolation and loneliness made her an easy target for Isaac. He used her desire to make a difference and quest to be part of something to con her into using her science for questionable purposes. At this point, the entirety of his motives is a little unclear. He definitely wants to be able to give humans Fae powers, which on the surface isn't necessarily bad on its own. The Fae are able to use their powers for both good and evil and humans with the powers could use them for either as well. Isaac's plans though seem to be leading to horrible consequences since he sees the Fae as nothing more than lab animals.
Isaac is lacking his humanity and sense of right and wrong that Lauren has. He has captured and tortured Fae to further his research. Lauren would never condone that behavior. So, now that she's been complicit in his research, what will she do? Dyson, Lauren, and Aife are all locked up by Isaac right now. Though, Isaac told Lauren that they are going to "do magnificent things together," so he's not going to leave her locked up. Perhaps, she can gain his trust enough to help Dyson and/or Aife get free. Or, since Isaac seems to want to "become" Dyson, that may be when the wolf is able to escape.
Meanwhile at the Dal another conflict was breaking out. The Morrigan used the the Fae mass grave, Dyson's kidnapping by humans, and Lauren's name on the deadly poison to solidify power. She put up a vote of no confidence on Hale and named all Humans as terrorists. At this point, her motivation beyond wanting more power is unclear. The first ramification of her order was the imprisoning of Kenzi. The human's capture will likely be temporary since Hale slipped the safety enchantment from his father into her pocket as he kissed her.
Hale kissed Kenzi! It came at an unfortunate time, but at least he told her how he felt before the Morrigan interrupted them. Hale likes/loves Kenzi! At this point, he would give up his life and position to save her. It will be intriguing to see how far he has to go or if she'll be able to free herself with his gift.
I'm not sure what's going on with Tamsin, but she's losing it. Is it because of the drinking? Or,is the drinking a symptom of her problem. My only guess at this point is that she's suffering guilt from what she's supposed to do to Bo and using alcohol as a way of releasing her tension.In the bathtub scene, she seems to be blaming Bo in a way for her suffering. Bo is too perfect and that is causing her pain over having to turn against the succubus.
Will it work though? All along it has seemed like she was trying to sabotage the potion. Now that Bo and Lauren are broken up, will the hair still work? Not sure. Tamsin was a train wreck though from living in her car, jumping in the tub with Bo and then basically taking over Lauren's place. Tamsin proved herself in the end when she jumped in front of Bo and then saved her life. Will Tamsin survive? And, now that Bo knows that Tamsin was putting together a potion to hurt her, what will she do? Save the Valkyrie? Knowing Bo, of course, she will. And, then forgive her.
The whole gang is broken up. Bo is with a shot Tamsin. Dyson, Lauren and Aife are all caged. Trick is in a trunk. Kenzi is under the Morrigan's control. It's one big mess to resolve in only one more hour.
Odds and Ends
- Bo: It's a break. Yeah. Even I don't buy that line anymore. | permalink
- Tamsin: What up, Succubus? | permalink
- It was nice to see Bo and Dyson being friendly with one another at the Dal again. His friendly flirtation was hilarious and has moved their relationship into a more comfortable zone for both of them. He understands and accepts that they aren't going to get back together.
- The tub scene between Tamsin and Bo was sad, weird, funny, sexy, and more weird. A whole range of emotions between those two.
- The interactions between Kenzi and the Massimo, the druid, were just odd. Tamsin must have filled him in on Kenzi's background. It's like she knew she was being conned, but couldn't help herself. If Kenzi didn't have an even better moment with Hale, I'd wonder if there could be a future between Massimo and Kenzi. They were kinda cute together.
- Dyson's fight scene was disheartening. Instead of two roosters, it was two Fae men in cockfighting. And, all in order to show Isaac that Dyson was in fact the powerful Fae that he needed and wanted.
- Isaac does NOT know about Bo. That was intriguing. If he's been investigating Lauren, it's a surprise that he didn't know who she was dating.
- Who took Trick? My guess: The Morrigan. If anyone could undermine the consolidation of power, it would be Trick.
- Can Lauren and Bo find their way back to each other? At this point, it seems less likely than before, but love conquers all, right? Perhaps, Lauren will rid the new lab of Isaac and take it over. Since it seems unlikely that she can return to the Fae, it would give her a life and job outside of the Fae. Lauren and Bo can find their love for each other again in a more balanced relationship.