NCIS: Los Angeles Review: Shaggy, Ass Slap, Surfing and $50 Shots
NCIS: Los Angeles continued to freak me out again this week. The last couple episodes were about old Soviet nuclear bombs that were hidden away throughout America and here we find out the government is developing microscopic surveillance devices.
Both are even more frightful in the hands of our enemies. And that's what happened on tonight's "Skin Deep." The ups and downs of money. Kevin Stone was willing to sell the tech to cover his losses from day trading. It looks like the Navy needs to look more closely at who's working on sensitive projects.
The case had a modern day twist because someone recorded Stone's death on a mobile phone and uploaded it to the Internet for all to see. Call the cops? Nope. Instead, let's try to blackmail a brutal murderer for some cash. Doesn't that sound like a brilliant idea?
Surfers Sonny and Lance really had no idea what trouble they were bringing down on themselves. It cost Sonny his life and Lance will have to live with that for the rest of his. It did provide an intriguing off-shoot of the investigation. It's not often that a Navy case would involve the surfer world.
Even though it was a serious situation, Deeks and Kensi were able to have a little fun while working undercover. Beers, $50 shots ... make that a double, and a bar fight. That ass slap was ... memorable. I'm not sure Kensi will ever let Deeks forget it.
Despite the initial false lead that Lance gave Deeks, the team was able to track the real killer from the full murder video. He was Clint Sears, known to be connected to Al Qaeda. His plan was to hand off the device to a Turkish diplomat, Semih Demir, who was cozy with the Iranians. Since Demir had diplomatic immunity, they had to grab the device from Sears first.
Enter another scary big brother situation: Eric manipulated the traffic signals to slow down Demir, while the NCIS team moved in on Sears at the ceramics studio. Brilliant, but again, freaky what the government can do. Maybe Lance isn't too far off with his conspiracy theories....
NCIS saved the day. They recovered the device and then went for a surfing lesson! Well, Deeks and Kensi surfed, while Callen and Sam looked on from the beach.
Odds and Ends
- Deeks: How's your beach body? | permalink
- Yes, they played "Secret Agent Man" while Deeks was undercover surfing. Hilarious.
- Loved all the Shaggy references about Deeks.
- Some dude: Bad karma, Shaggy. | permalink
- Why do the bad guys always run? Always!
- Nice moment between Lance and Callen when they reflected on their time in foster care.
- Food truck nonsense was funny, especially when Sam didn't get his Curry Shrimp because "Shaggy" got the last order.
- Nate was mentioned during the autopsy. When he is mentioned, it usually means he is returning soon. Will he be back?