CBS, The Big Bang Theory Atop 2011-2012 Ratings
For the ninth time in 10 years, CBS has been crowned the most-watched network in the country, with The Big Bang Theory anchoring a powerful lineup by finishing first in the advertiser-friendly 18-49-year old demographic.
Other long-running progams weren't as fortunate.
American Idol lost about six million viewers per week, and was not the most-viewed show on television for the first time in eight years; while Dancing with the Stars fell by approximately four million per week.
Here's a look at the top 10 most popular shows, based on total number of weekly viewers, for the past television season:
- NBC Sunday Night Football: 20.7 million weekly average
- American Idol performance shows: 19.7 million
- NCIS: 19.5 million
- American Idol results show: 18 million
- Dancing with the Stars performance shows: 18 million
- NCIS Los Angeles: 16 million
- Dancing with the Stars results show: 16 million
- The Big Bang Theory: 16 million
- The Voice: 15.8 million
- Two and a Half Men: 15 million