With the ridiculousness that is the Occupy movement, it was only a matter of time before Matt Stone and Trey Parker gave the protestors the South Park treatment.
This movement was paralleled by our fourth graders through the use of a Presidential Physical Fitness examination, making Cartman the "1%" and the rest of his class the 99%, all while giving an easy direct link to the Obama administration.
While South Park is never a stranger to satire nor stating its politically incorrect views, I can't remember the last time Stone and Parker were so direct. They gave Cartman some pretty ridiculous quotes, such as:
I'll tell you why you're protesting, because you all think it's wrong to be pissed at a black president... | permalink
Aside from Cartman insinuating that people were blaming Wall Street and not the President because in our society "black people are incapable of doing anything wrong," the show had plenty more to mock about the protests.
One of my favorite bits was them mocking how liberally the word Occupy has been placed on everything from their Occupy Red Robin to the even more ridiculous Occupy the Rest Room. Personally, I've seen people holding Occupy signs designed for street corners.
Then there were the fifth graders that just had to mess things up when they couldn't just allow a single party 99% and had to break it down into 83%, 0.17%, and even a few little 5 percenters. Doesn't that just perfectly exemplify the flaw of the whole movement?
Meanwhile, throughout it all, our racist little Cartman was just trying to figure out who was killing off his toys, one by one, seemingly part of the 1% liberal Jew persecution. Of course, there was the clever, messed up ending reveal when it was just our little man growing up. Are we going to end up with two cynical fourth graders now?
Overall, I thought it was a great satire loaded with laughs and it did something South Park hasn't done to me in awhile: shocked me. But I'm sure you guys will still find a reason to hate my review and make me feel like the one percent. Let me go find my Clyde Frog to complain to. At least he thinks I'm cool. Oh wait. RIP Clyde Frog. You will be missed...
Eric Hochberger is the programmer of TV Fanatic, so please forgive his mediocre writing. His programming is far better. Follow him on Twitter and/or email him. Just don't request threaded comments. They're coming.Tags: South Park, Reviews
Want more South Park?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!