Elena and Jeremy must have spent a few hours catching up on Jack Bauer 's typical plan of action or reading Sarah Palin's biography prior to "The Sacrifice."
Because both Gilbert siblings went rogue on The Vampire Diaries this week. Their independently-planned actions resulted in a dangerous visit from Elijah and an heroic decision by Stefan.
But did the latter cost him Elena forever? Will leaving his love under the protective care of his brother truly become the biggest mistake Stefan ever made?
What makes The Vampire Diaries so addictive isn't merely its never-ending series of twists and turns, although I must stretch my neck before bed every Thursday night because my head has been spinning at such an abnormal rate for an hour.Instead, it's the emotions that underlie every action. More than any installment I can recall, "The Sacrifice" moved at lightening speed, scarcely taking a moment to let the characters, and viewers, breathe.
At the end, though, there was no major surprise or suspenseful cliffhanger. There was simply the reminder that this show works so well because we're so invested in its core relationships. If Elijah specializes in yanking out hearts, Stefan and Damon take a very different tact:
They tug at heartstrings.
Of course, there were plenty of developments that resulted in plenty of questions/notes this week, as well. To wit:
- Luka acknowledged that his father asked him to get close to Bonnie, but does this mean he's aware of everything Jonas is up to with Elijah? My guess: No. My prediction: Luka will play a role in thwarting whatever evil plan his dad has in mind.
- Either lay one on Jeremy or cut him loose, Bonnie. Don't play with his heart like you play with various spells. Also, pretty sure she had a witch-gasm when she and Luka first combined forces.
- The brief confrontation between Elijah and Damon? Awesome. But there's something even scarier than this Original's power. It's that experience combined with a rational mind that actually thinks plans though and realizes Elena is in a safe position alongside the Salvatores. For now.
- The discovery of Mason's taped transition was a tad too convenient... but, hey, it gave us more of him shirtless.
- Poor, poor Matt.
- Hey, an Alaric sighting! No wonder the guy hasn't been involved in storylines recently. He's been... busy.
- I liked the small touch of a sunset being Slater's computer wallpaper, as well as the meta references to Kristen Stewart and Alice freaking out over seeing Damon Salvatore.
- Elena's plan to turn herself over to Klaus: Brave or stupid or both?
- Included in this week's Vampire Diaries music is a cover by Kat Graham.
- No way Stefan really gets it on with Katherine next week, as this promo teases... right?
I'll leave you with one of the Vampire Diaries quotes that will leave fans buzzing over the next few days:
Stefan: Promise me, whatever happens, you'll protect her.
Damon: Promise. | permalink