Well, that was bloody fantastic.
The episode "Rose" had it all, from a brotherly road trip to an whirlwind of a fight to an outpouring of information to an entirely new direction for our favorite characters... and that was all before Damon caused every living room in American to fill up with dust when he finally told Elena the words he needed to say... just once.
I love you. Man, I'm gonna need a moment.
Few shows can pull off the mix of action, answers and affection that was on display this week on The Vampire Diaries.
I might tear up again if I focus too much on the latter, so let's stop and try to make sense of the mythology that came streaming out of Rose's mouth this week.Elena is a Petrova Doppleganger. We already knew this, but it sounds like she isn't the only one. Or there have at least been others through the years. Her blood can break the sun and the moon curse, which "the originals" are interested in doing, presumably so they can wreak some serious havoc.
QUESTIONS: Was Katherine actually trying to protect Elena? If so, why didn't she come out and tell her the same things Rose did? Also, what role does the moonstone play in all this?
There's a Klaus, too?!? This is both a point and a question. I can't fault a show that reveals so many answers on a weekly basis... but we were introduced to Rose, Elijah and Trevor all in the span of a few minutes. Then, we learn there's an even more powerful, ancient vampire out there? And he's also on the way?!?
That's a lot for a viewer to take in just one episode! At least we can sort through all this together, right, readers? That's what our Vampire Diaries forum is all about.
So, now we're left with a new set of enemies for the Mystic Falls gang to battle. And now they are a united front against whatever, or whoever, lies ahead. Stefan gave Damon a heartfelt speech and apology at the conclusion of the episode, which preceded the latter's moving words to Elena.
It looks like this sibling rivalry is truly over for a moment and that Klaus, Elijah and every other Original won't have an easy time taking what they want from Mystic Falls, not when the Salvatores have both found something to fight for.
A few other thoughts/questions:
- The show has to be a little careful just having Bonnie cast whatever spell is most appropriate for a given situation. That can feel like a convenient way out for the writers, but at least there are grave consequences every time she does so.
- Did events between her and Jeremy tilt your feelings on this potential hook-up one way or another?
- Can Caroline really trust Tyler? Why do I have a strong feeling her secret won't remain between the two of them when all is said and done?
- Way to Bing and decide, Jer!
- You're a werewolf. Say it. Think this line, from Tyler to Caroline, was a purposeful wink at Twilight?
- I found the use of the word "pardon" interesting. It appears as though the Originals abide by some form of law or code.
- Impressions of Lauren Cohan as Rose? She'll be around for awhile.
I'll have plenty more to say in this week's Round Table, but now it's your turn: Comment away!