Last night's episode of Grey's Anatomy it was all about children. Everyone in one way or another was connected by either being a parent or the potential to becoming one.
The best way to sum it up is through Meredeth's very own insightful words:
Meredith: It's the most important job in the world. You probably should need a license to do it, but then most of us wouldn't even pass the written exam. Some people are naturals. They were born to do it. Some have other gifts. But the good news is biology dictates you don't have to do it alone. You can waste your whole life wondering, but the only way to find out what kind of parent you'd be is to finally stop talking about it and just do it. | permalink
Since each character had to go through their own path, let's dissect "Sympathy for the Parents":
- Meredith and Derek: The episode began with Derek asking Meredith how she felt about starting a family with babies (then he quickly changed it to a baby - obviously Derek sensed the shock in Meredith's body language). Because of a patient dying, it made Derek realize that he did not want either of them to be alone when the other kicked the bucket. Meredith, thanks to her new BFF - (BTW - how great is Alex and Meredith as besties!? So cute!) she realized that she will be nothing like her mother and agrees by the end of the show to start a family with McDreamy! All together now: Aww!
- Alex and Aaron: With Aaron's arrival we got to learn so much about what made Alex the man he is today. He basically was the father in Aaron's life from the time he was just a little kid himself. Having to handle such grown up issues and such a young age really makes you a different person. We get now why he has so much pent up anger and how scary it must be to even think of becoming a parent. It was good for Meredith to be there for him and let him know that he is nothing like his father. We heart Alex!
- Callie and Arizona: It is like the big pink elephant in the room that neither one of them wants to discuss. The whole episode, Arizona basically wanted to talk about everything under the sun, but kids. Callie on the other hand, really weighed the pros and cons about being a parent. And thanks to Miranda and her ridiculously cute story about Tucker, she was able to conclude by the end of the show that she definitely wants kids.
- Owen, Cristina, and Teddy: Our favorite love triangle that no one wants to own up to. Teddy is still very much in love with Owen. Owen wants to one day have children, possibly with Cristina, and Cristina never wants kids. Period. What a tangled web they weave! There's been a couple times now where we've caught Owen glancing at Teddy in a more than best friends kind of way. Will this be the feather that breaks the camel's back? Will Owen leave Cristina or worse, will he cheat on her? We hope not! We liked the way it ended with Cristina offering her hand to Owen. There is definitely something special there.
- Mark and Sloan: She's back! We know how much Mark wants to have a family and raise children. So much so he has been willing to change his ways and actually court Teddy (we still do not like them together). Now that his daughter is back with baby in tow, will she stay for good? If so, will that take the pressure off of Mark to want to be a father?
We thought there were plenty of touching storylines on last night's episode. But one part that was rather annoying would be April's obsession with McDreamy! What is that? Thank God Lexie saw it and confronted her about it, but she didn't really do anything else.
C'mon Lexie! Stand up for your sista!
So our question for all of you out there: Do you think Derek will ever cheat on Meredith?
What did you think of last night's episode?
Don't forget to check out our favorite Grey's Anatomy quotes after the jump!
Derek: If anything should happen to me, I don't want you to just be you.
Meredith: Well we would make pretty babies.
Derek: So you're thinking about it?
Meredith: Oh, I'm thinking about it. | permalink
Bailey: If you are going to wait for the perfect time to have kids - you're never going to have kids. | permalink
Teddy: Don't tell him what to do, just tell him how you fell. | permalink
Lexie: How did you do it? How did you learn?
Mark: I'm still learning. | permalink
Owen: When you're commanding officer tells you to stand down, you stand down.
Christina: I'm not in the army and you're not my commanding officer. | permalink
Cristina: (to Teddy) You want to have kids?
Callie: You don't?
Cristina: Have you met me? No! | permalink
Bailey: So what happened after jouvey?
Meredith: Dr. Bailey, I don't think Alex -
Bailey: Mind your business. | permalink
Cristina: I hate men, they're stupid.
Meredith: Derek asked me to have a baby with him this morning.
Cristina: Really stupid. | permalink
Want more Grey's Anatomy?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!