How I Met Your Mother Review: "The Playbook"
As the biggest fans of Swarkles, aka The Barman and Robin, we were initially sad to see these two break up. Then we remembered what made How I Met Your Mother so awesome... single Barney.
On last night's episode, "The Playbook," it was amazing to have the real Barney back. Recovering instantly from his breakup, Barney used the playbook, a book of all his tricks, to deceit a bunch of women into his bedroom.
So what made this episode so legendary?
- Lorenzo von Matterhorn. We're already trying to come up with our fake name to begin dominating the top ten Google results.
- I love how Claire (Kim Knight) just fit in with the group and even joined in during the "Hell No" harmony.
- The running gag line of "Sonuvabitch."
- The backwareds plot telling device, while not as clever as other HIMYM episodes, was still fun. Seeing the Lily grab the sheet and realizing she's been had? Sonuvabitch.
- Hehe, he dressed as a SCUBA diver... and stuffed with a can of Pringles.
- Ted being set up. Could the main character of the show and premise be back? Well, not if Barey, err Lorenzo keeps scamming them.
Sure a lot of fans will complain that the multi-season build up of Barney and Robin getting together only to be broken up seven episodes into the season was short-lived. We just want to remind them to re-watch this episode. This was HIMYM.
Now for some of the finest How I Met Your Mother quotes of the episode after the jump.
Lily: Don't you think you're rushing back into this?
Barney: Lily, since I stopped dating Robin, there's this thing I haven't used as much as I would like. It's kind of big. Surprisingly heavy. Kind of leathery. And it's black.
Barney: This, my friends, is the playbook! | permalink
Barney: Barney Stinson is back on the market. Mothers, lock up your daughters. Daughters, lock up your MILSWANCA's.
Ted: Oh wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd Like to Sleep With and Never Call Again
Barney: Correct, circle gets a square | permalink
Lily: That is awful. You realize you broke her heart, right? She's inconsolable!
Barney: Why would she be inconsolable? Lorenzo's balloon won't disappear over the arctic for another week. | permalink
Barney: I hope you're happy with yourself. You broke that girl's heart!
Barney: You! She'll probably never trust a guy again. You ruined her for Ted! Not to mention Julio van Matterhorn, Lorenzo's twin brother. | permalink
Eric Hochberger is the programmer of TV Fanatic, so please forgive his mediocre writing. His programming is far better. Follow him on Twitter and/or email him. Just don't request threaded comments. They're coming.