The nominees for the 58th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards have been released and Grey's Anatomy garnered an impressive number of nominations -- 11 -- ranking just behind the dozen earned by 24. Both shows are nominated for top Outstanding Drama Series along with The West Wing, House and The Sopranos.
The awards will be handed out August 27 on NBC. Among the Grey's Anatomy nominees are two principal cast members, a trio of memorable guest stars, and a pair of writers whose creative influence has been the driving force behind the show's soaring popularity. Here's the full list of awards the show us up for...
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series -- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series -- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey (right)
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series -- Kyle Chandler as Dylan Young
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series -- Kate Burton as Dr. Ellis Grey
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series -- Christina Ricci as Hannah Davies
- Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series -- Shonda Rhimes, "It's the End of the World / As We Know It" (Parts I & II)
- Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series -- Krista Vernoff, "Into You Like a Train"
- Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
- Outstanding Makeup For A Series (Non-Prosthetic)
- Outstanding Makeup For A Series (Prosthetic)
Hoping for a more diverse slate of nominees than in years past, the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (which oversees the Emmys), nominated a handful of old and new favorites but not the last year's major winners. Lost and Desperate Housewives were nowhere to be found in the major acting categories or the best series nominations for their respective genres.
Here's hoping for an Emmy sweep... or close to it. The most awards Grey's Anatomy could actually take home would be eight, as three categories have multiple nominees! Congratulations to all!
Want more Grey's Anatomy?
Sign up for our daily newsletter and receive the latest tv news delivered to your inbox for free!